August 16, 2010 | Posted by ajay tawde at 2:04 AM |
Taraporewala Aquarium is one of the many jewels at Marine Drive that line up to form the beloved ‘Queen’s Necklace’. Built at a total cost of Rs. 8,00,000, the aquarium was inaugurated by Dr. Rajendra Prasad on May 27, 1951. It was decided to name the institution after the Parsi philanthropist, Mr. Vicaji D. B. Taraporewala, who had graciously donated Rs. 2,00,000 towards its construction. Later, the Department of Fisheries decided to take over the task of maintaining this urban wonder, which houses an impressive list of marine and inland species. Today, even though the facility is facing an urgent need for further upgradation and maintenance, the aquarium remains a crowd favourite.
This marine museum is divided into 4 sections:
1. Community Hall: The entrance to the aquarium opens up directly into this section. A colossal skeleton that stretches over 48 feet covers most of the large hall. The remains belong to a whale that was found at Ratnagiri in 1994. With 6 head bones, 21 ribs and 34 vertebrae, the display is nothing short of awe-inspiring. This section also houses community fishes like the sea anemone and the arowana.