The Bombay High Court is one of the most ‘striking ornaments’ of Mumbai. The majestic building stands tall and fully functional, despite its existence of over 125 years. It is an architectural delight that has withstood the test of time quite well.
Though south Mumbai is dotted with several buildings that belong to the same era as The Bombay High Court, the building stands out due to its excellent planning that kept functionality as its main objective. It is the most prominent feature on the city’s skyline when seen from the Oval Maidan.
The Bombay High Court belongs to the ‘Neo-Gothic’ architecture wave that had swept over the United Kingdom as well as Europe and North America in the nineteenth century. The style was a metamorphosis from the eighteenth century ‘Gothic Revival’ form. The century saw Neo-Gothic architecture replacing the much prevalent classical styles in Europe and the cascading effect in India.
The court was designed by General John Augustus Fuller of the Royal Engineers in 1870 while he was on a furlough in London. General Fuller’s name is associated with David Sassoon Library and Gokuldas Tejpal Hospital. In his design of the high court, General Fuller incorporated elements from the designs earlier submitted by Trubshawe, Paris and Molecey. Construction of the ‘muscular’ building commenced in 1871 and got completed in 1878. The Bombay High Court was finally inaugurated and had its first session in January 1879
To Check out the rest of the article check out: